Spinal Stenosis Treatment Options for Residents of Monroe Township, NJ
Spinal stenosis, or a narrowing of the spinal canal, is often a consequence of the natural aging process. This condition is not always painful or problematic. In general, discomfort develops only if the spinal cord or a sensitive nerve root is pressured by displaced bony or soft tissue, such as a bone spur, herniated disc, or inflamed ligament. When this occurs, the most common symptoms of spinal stenosis are pain, numbness, and weakness that originate in the spine and radiate down through the arms or legs. At Spine Care New Jersey in Monroe Township, NJ, our spine specialists offer a full range of nonsurgical treatment options to alleviate these symptoms, as well as surgical procedures designed to address the root causes.
Spinal discomfort can often affect quality of life. Individuals in Monroe Township, New Jersey, who require treatment for spinal stenosis symptoms are encouraged to consult with the spine specialists at Spine Care New Jersey to find out whether nonsurgical treatment is possible. Some conservative options that we often recommend for treating spinal stenosis include:
- Activity restrictions to avoid positions and movements that cause pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen
- Analgesics, such as acetaminophen
- Anesthetic injections, also called nerve blocks, near an affected nerve
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation
- A back brace worn for lumbar support
- Physical therapy or therapeutic exercises designed to strengthen the core abdominal and back muscles, build endurance, and stabilize the spine
In general, the spine experts at Spine Care New Jersey reserve surgery as a last resort treatment for spinal stenosis, recommending it only after nonsurgical treatments do not produce sufficient results. In these cases, our board-certified, fellowship-trained spine surgeons perform spinal decompression and fusion procedures as necessary to create more space within the spinal canal and stabilize the spinal structure. Typically, surgery is following by a customized rehabilitation program designed to help the patient safely regain spinal strength, endurance, and flexibility.
To learn more about treatment options for spinal stenosis, contact Spine Care New Jersey to schedule an appointment with a spine specialist at our office in Monroe Township, NJ.